Friday, January 22, 2010

My new show

I have loved Glee since I first saw the pilot. It is hands-down one of the greatest shows on television today. It is entertaining, funny at times, poignant at times, and not too serious. Its mass appeal made it 2009's best new show.

Glee, however, is not my favorite new show on TV. Community is far and away my favorite new show on TV. I think it is funny on multiple levels, poignant at times, and not too serious. Joel McHale brings the creative sarcasm, Danny Pudi (a completely underrated Abed, who I want to see more of outside of this show) brings the weird, often with Donald Glover who plays Troy, Chevy Chase is the snotty, clueless character you like to see brought down without feeling guilty, and the other provide ample space for hilarity to ensue. The writing is translucent in that it makes fun of sitcoms and situational drama, which allows for a lot of irony as well as crazy, hilarious twists. I really think you should check out the first 5-7 episodes*.

I don't know anyone else who watches this show and I think that is because they are turned off by Joel McHale. He is the main character, but not the only character, so Community should be given a chance.

The show that I am still trying out is Modern Family. I have had a couple of people tell me that it is funny and that I would like it. It has been called a mixture of "The Office" and "Arrested Development". I have watched the first two episodes with minimal enjoyment, but I will wait until I've seen the next 3 or 4 to make a decision.

*I say 5-7, because I think doesn't really pick a direction until after the first 4 or 6. It has been my experience that shows (sitcoms and dramas) will go in several different directions at the beginning of the season after a pilot in order to see what story lines and characters resonate the best. Not all shows do this, though: The Wire comes to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment