Saturday, March 28, 2009

The what-what?

My Netflix queueueue is not organized and so I get random movies I have put on there for no known reason showing up in my mailbox . A week ago I got "The Chumscrubber" and put it off because I didn't really know what it was about. It is a suburban dystopia where, similar to "Brick" (a movie I highly recommend) and the show "Weeds" the kids live in an alternative world where they do adult things  (drugs, sex, crime, etc.) and the adults are petty and childish. The movie has a pretty good cast (Glen Close, Ralph Fiennes, Alison Janney and a host of familiar-looking teens/kids) and I think the acting is pretty good.

I thought it was a decent movie touching on themes that are overripe. The movie came out in 2005, so maybe I just watched it after its relevance, but I don't think that's the case. I liked the fantastic (as in fantasy) animation sequences- very much like "A Scanner Darkly" (or those Charles Schwab commercials with the real life people overlayed with animation, if you haven't seen Scanner)- that serve as commentary of the unnaturalness of suburban life but that aspect may have been too much because the action stands alone as commentary. It is more of a character-centered film, so unless you're gung-ho about criticizing suburbia it is not a must-see.

No comments:

Post a Comment