Thursday, February 19, 2009

First Lost Post

[Note: As this blog gets underway I will preface my thoughts on any particular episode by talking about my general opinions about the TV show. But just for the first time I talk about a show. Also, when I talk about TV shows, I'm not going to separate spoilers.]

Preface: I really like Lost. I've seen every episode twice (at least) to keep past events fresh in my mind. It probably goes with out saying that the biggest part of my attraction to the show is trying to figure out what's going on before they reveal it. I like the supernatural aspects of the show. Part of me feels that the island is really (and has been all along) an allegory for purgatory but they did it too obviously so they've been giving other possibilities to throw the viewers off. I also like talking about it, because everyone sees different things in the shows. As much as I like it, I'm not on any of the message boards and I don't obsess over the little things in the episodes. There are contextual consistencies that the production crew maintains, but I'm not sure that they build foreshadowing and hidden information into the episodes.

316: I thought this episode was disappointing. I almost wrote that this episode was boring... but it wasn't. It moves the action from LA back to the island but we didn't learn anything, except five of the six (plus Ben, Locke's body, and Lapidus) get back to the island. We meet Jack's grandfather, but I doubt he will be important. I suspect that maybe Jack's grandfather has been to the island, based on nothing more than, his tone, speculation and the existence of some other generational ties to the island (Charlotte and Miles). The actor who plays the grandfather was well-cast because he had a pretty close "Shepherd" look and voice.

The episode is titled "316" which sounds like John 3:16,
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (From Wikipedia)
By flying on Flight 316 to get back to the island are they getting everlasting life? Does it simply mean that because they believe Ms. Hawking they won't die on Flight 316? This would reinforce the religious allegory (say... purgatory) assertion. 

Which brings me to my current big big-picture question: Is Jack going to be the island's new permanent leader (the position that Ben was in, which Locke took over)? I have always thought that Jack is the center of the show. I mean, the VERY first image you see in the pilot is Jack. Locke is dead (right? maybe he'll come back to life- like Jack's dad- when they reach the island a la purgatory) and Ben left the island so he may not be the central figure when they reach the present day. Plus Jack's dad is Jacob's face/voice (or maybe actually Jacob?!) so he has a tie to the island's spirit (which would be reinforced if Jack's grandfather had been to the island too). Towards the bottom of the resume: Jack was the force behind the Losties and I don't think that was a coincidence. 

Side note: The Jack character bothers me sometimes when the story has him shaped by events, rather than shaping events. He's the leader of the Losties (Jack SHEPHERD, comeon?) and should be kicking ass and taking names. 

Interesting Plot Questions: Where is Aaron? Does his absence affect anything? If you remember way back, the fortune teller implored Claire (where is she btw?) to raise Aaron herself... His absence has to be significant. 

Why would Sun leave her kid? It seems implausible for her to leave her child to look for Jin.

Did Ben kill Penelope? I'm pretty sure the "promise" that Ben went to keep was to kill Widmore's daughter. Since she was there with Desmond, I think that could explain it. This could be a device to get Desmond back to the island (kill Ben, resurrect her because the island is purgatory, etc.).

Other thoughts: 
1) I've gotten into Ken Ken, the Soduku-like game that the NYT puts next to the daily crossword. It's fun.

2) T-Mac ruins my day. For the first few years in the league he was my favorite player. I was ecstatic when he came to the Rockets. But now, I resent him and see him as just another player. I don't want to hear any more about him unless its "T-Mac for ____" until he is dressing for games.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if its appropriate to Comment on my own blog, but one more thought on the John 3:16 aspect. Is the allegory the fact that the island "gave up" Locke to get the others back?

    ReplyDelete